Top 10 Free Video Compression Software for Windows and MacOS – Converting videos to advanced codecs like HEVC, lowering 4K 2160p to 1080p/720p, changing CBR to VBR, changing frame rate 60FPS to 30FPS, cutting off clips from video to shorten video length, and so on are all flexible options for making videos smaller. The High Quality Engine is built into the free video compression software to ensure minimal quality degradation (roughly 2% quality loss), and the GPU (Intel QSV/AMD/Nvidia) hardware acceleration will make 8K/4K/2K video compression smooth and fast without consuming your CPU or crashing your laptop.
Some are free open source video transcoder and compressor tools, such as Handbrake, while others are free online video compressor tools and free open source video editor and compression tools. Choose the best free video compression software to reduce video size without sacrificing quality. Each programme includes a comprehensive guide on how to compress a video on Windows 10 or macOS.Top 10 Free Video Compression Software for Windows and MacOS
Top 10 Free Video Compression Software for Windows and MacOS
1.Freemake Video Converter
If you want to compress videos to other formats, Freemake Video Converter is the best free video compression software for Windows 10. It supports over 500 formats and gadgets and can easily compress MKV, MP4, and other formats to HEVC H.265, AV1, H.264, and others.
To compress video size on Windows 10, the free video compressor software provides versatile control over video and audio parameter settings, such as video frame size, bitrate, frame rate, and more. It’s also a good way to remove unwanted video segments to reduce video size; fortunately, Freemake has this feature.
The video compressor software Freemake fully supports 4K, Full HD 1080p, and HD 720p files from HD cameras, camcorders, and Blu-ray players. However, without hardware acceleration, 4K/HD video compression on Windows 10 or other low-end devices can be slow, especially if you want to compress videos to advanced codecs such as HEVC and AV1.
Slow video compression speed is a significant disadvantage. Some users reported that the free video compression software for Windows 10 did not work on the operating system. It adds a watermark to the compressed video output. We found no improvement in video compression on Windows 10 with the new version.Top 10 Free Video Compression Software for Windows and MacOS
- Flexible video audio parameter settings allow you to compress video by adjusting frame size, frame rate, bitrate, and more.
- Cut video to reduce video size. This is also a good way to shrink video, and Freemake includes a feature for doing so.
- Up to 500+ formats and gadgets supported, easily compress MKV, MP4, etc. to HEVC H.265, AV1, H.264, and more.
- 4K, Full HD 1080p, and HD 720p files from HD cameras, camcorders, and Blu-ray players are supported. However, without hardware acceleration, compressing 4K/HD videos can be slow, especially when using advanced codecs like HEVC and AV1.
2.WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
The free 4K/HD video compressor for Windows 10/11/8/7 is WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe. Because of the HQ engine, hardware acceleration support, and advanced compression algorithm, it can reduce video file size while maintaining the best balance of video quality and file size. It is ideal for those who want to compress high-resolution videos while maintaining quality. The High Quality Engine ensures minimal quality degradation (roughly 2% quality loss), and hardware acceleration ensures that the video compression process is smooth and stable, with no crashing, stuttering, or jerking. H/W decoding for 10-bit and 12-bit HDR video compression has been added to the latest version of the free video compression software for Windows 10.Top 10 Free Video Compression Software for Windows and MacOS
- 90% video size reduction The intraframe and interframe coding algorithms, as well as advanced entropy encoding technology, can reduce the size of a (4K 2160p) video by up to 90%.
- Adjust the bit rate (CBR to VBR), frame rate (60FPS to 30FPS), 4K to 1080p, trimming, cropping, and more to compress large videos.
- The High Quality Engine can improve the output compressed video quality even more.
- Over 370 codecs are supported! Compress MP4, MKV, M2TS, AVI, WMV, MOV, H264, and other video formats.
- Quick and high-quality compression speed. Hardware acceleration at Level 3 Intel QSV, NVIDIA CUDA/NVENC, and AMD VCE provide fast compression of 8K, 4K, 1080P, and 720P videos.
FFmpeg is the best free compressor software for Windows 10, capable of compressing video sizes from GBs to MBs without sacrificing quality. To configure video, audio, and other multimedia settings, such as bit rate, frame rate, container format, and codec format, FFmpeg uses command lines. The Constant Rate Factor (CRF) is the default quality setting for x264 and x265 encoding. The greater the value, the greater the compression and the greater the quality loss. FFmpeg can compress video files ranging in size from 1 GB to 30 MB.
For non-tech savvy users, the video compression command line has a steep learning curve. If you enter an incorrect command line for codecs, bitrate, container, and fps, the free video compression software for Windows 10 may output an even larger file size. Many users are perplexed by its CRF value, codec, frame rate, and other settings. Setting the -maxrate and -bufsize to reduce the bit rate yields an unsatisfactory result. The CRF value ranges from 0 to 51, with 0 being lossless and 51 being the worst quality but smallest video file size. A lower CRF value indicates higher quality but larger file size. On Windows 10, increasing the CRF value by 6 results in a video file that is half the size.Top 10 Free Video Compression Software for Windows and MacOS
- Compress video from GB to MB without sacrificing quality by dividing the target size (in bits) by the video length (in seconds) or setting the video to Constant Rate Factor (CRF), which reduces the average bit rate while maintaining quality.
- FFmpeg, which is based on libavcodec, can compress videos to MP4, AV1, HEVC H.265, H.264, VP9, WMV, and most other codecs.
- Change the bit rate, video screen size, profile to baseline, and so on with ease.
4.Any Video Converter
Any Video Converter Freeware is yet another excellent video compressor software for Windows 10, allowing you to compress videos (including HD and 4K videos) for free with restrictions. There are no advertisements, malware, or watermarks. The programme supports NVIDIA NVENC, AMD AMF, and Intel QSV hardware acceleration, which speeds up the video compression process. It’s very simple to use, requiring no advanced knowledge of codecs or video parameters for video compression. It has a simple and user-friendly interface.
However, some users reported that it consumes nearly all of the CPU and memory, which is unacceptable. If you need to compress DVDs, you should purchase the advanced version for $49.95 to get DVD functions. Webm files are not supported by the free video compression software for Windows 10. The highest bit-rate available is 160kp, which has an impact on the output video quality. It includes adware. Keep an eye out for anti-virus software or other adware while installing the tool. There has been no update in the last two years.Top 10 Free Video Compression Software for Windows and MacOS.
- 100+ inputs and 160+ outputs are supported. Easily convert videos to the HEVC codec.
- Crop, trim, and change the video codecs, dimensions, bitrate, frame rate, sample rate, channel, video/audio quality, and other settings.
- Fast MP4 video compression with NVIDIA NVENC, AMD AMF, and Intel QSV hardware acceleration.
Handbrake is a well-known open-source video transcoder tool that also functions as free video compression software for Windows 10. It allows users to compress video size on Windows 10 without sacrificing quality by reducing video bit range, frame rate, resolution, resizing, and changing video codec format, as well as providing a plethora of video and audio setting options.
The best free video compressor software accepts all video formats, including MP4, MKV, HEVC, H.264, VP8, VP9, Theora, and others. In addition, Handbrake General Presets includes outputs for various devices, software, processing speed, total bit rate, and file size, such as Fast1080p30 and Super HQ 1080p30 Surround.
To improve video compression performance on Windows 10, update to the latest version of Handbrake – 1.4.0, which was released on July 18, 2021. The latest release of free video compression software for Windows supports native 10 and 12-bit video encoding, as well as HDR10 metadata passthru. Improved hardware-accelerated video compression performance is available on Intel QuickSync, AMD VCN, and Qualcomm ARM devices.Top 10 Free Video Compression Software for Windows and MacOS
- Compress videos in almost any format. Load any video into the compressor without regard for format.
- Provide a plethora of setting options to help compress video size, such as video dimensions, codec, frame rate, bitrate, quality, and so on.
- Large MP4, MKV videos can be compressed using H.264, H.265, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VP8, VP9, and Theora.
- Hardware acceleration from Intel, NVIDIA, and AMD is supported to provide fast video compression speed.
6.Free Video Compressor
Free Video Compressor is a free video compression tool for Windows 11/10/8/7. It can compress videos in MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, MKV, FLV, RMVB, RM, and other formats. The Desired Video Size option is very useful and simple. The video file size settings, such as file size, bitrate, duration, format, width, and height, are appreciated (resolution). You can set the video star time and end time using the cutting feature. To compress videos on Windows 10/8/7, cut the video length in half. Aspect ratios of 4:3, 1:1, 16:10, and 16:9 are supported by the free video compression software. The aspect ratio options are useful for those who want to compress videos for uploading to YouTube, Instagram, Whatsapp, and other social media websites on Windows.
It makes use of a static build from the FFmpeg project, and it requires the.NET Framework to run the free video compression for Windows (Version 1.0). The programme will not provide a stable video compression process. It frequently crashes when compressing 4K UHD video files. There is no evidence that it is a free video compressor for Windows 10 that is GPU accelerated.Top 10 Free Video Compression Software for Windows and MacOS
MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, MKV, FLV, and other commonly used video formats can be compressed.
Provide a Desired Video Size option for one-click free video compression.
Change the video bitrate, video format, audio format, video aspect ratio, and so on to make the video smaller.
The free video compressor software supports the following aspect ratios: 4:3, 1:1, 16:10, and 16:9.
7.VLC media player
VLC media player is the most popular free and open source cross-platform multimedia player, as well as free video compression software. It can compress videos by converting them to more advanced codecs and lowering video resolution, bit rate, and frame rate. Hardware-accelerated Direct3D11 and DirectX decoding is supported. VLC can play a variety of formats, including HEVC and other efficient codecs. All of these features improve VLC’s ability to handle 4K video compression.
VLC Media Player V3.0.17 now supports more formats and fixes a D3D11 crash when changing resolution to a smaller size on Windows 10. It also improved Windows 10 HEVC hardware decoding. Upgrade to the most recent version of the free video compressor software for Windows 10 to enjoy significantly improved compression performance.
You should be aware that VLC has a complicated method for shortening video length – recording. Because it is not a professional free video compressor, don’t expect many video compression features or high output quality. The video compression feature is ill-conceived. It’s difficult for beginners to get started because they may miss out on hidden compression features.Top 10 Free Video Compression Software for Windows and MacOS
- Large videos in almost any format are supported.
- In a variety of video containers, compress videos to H.265 HEVC, VP9, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, and so on.
- Basic options for adjusting codec, bitrate, quality, resolutions, and other parameters.
- Direct3D11 and DirectX hardware accelerated decoding are supported.
WinZip is another video compression software for Windows 10/11 that can zip and compress video files and folders to make them easier to send and share. You can compress videos in a variety of formats, including MP4, AVI, MKV, and WMV. It instantly zips video files to reduce file size without sacrificing quality. This free video compressor for Windows can be used to share, upload, and email videos. It allows you to directly share compressed/zipped video files to iCloud Drive, Dropbox, Google Drive, and ZipShare.
Files can be encrypted using banking-grade AES. To use the free video compressor tool, select the video file or folder to compress, click Add to Zip, and then select a location for your compressed video files. WinZip 9 Mac is compatible with macOS. It should be noted that WinZip exhibits virus-like behaviour and that video files must be manually deleted. The zipping method can only compress MP4 H.264 video files so far. Its more expensive version is not cheap.Top 10 Free Video Compression Software for Windows and MacOS
- Video file compression and management software in one.
- With a single click, you can compress video files and video file folders.
- More than 17 file formats are supported, as well as the ability to zip, encrypt, and share files.
If you’re looking for free video compression software for macOS, try QuickTime Player, which can function as the system’s default video compressor. QuickTime Player can easily reduce video size. To reduce video file size, it can compress videos to 720p, 480p, lower resolution, and bitrate. Open QuickTime Player and navigate to File > Export As… to see a list of video resolutions. Choose the lowest resolution for the smallest video size, rename your video, and save it somewhere, and you’re done! Because it’s a built-in Mac app, the output video file is in MOV format.
As previously stated, the resulting video file can only be obtained in MOV format. If you want to work with the video on Windows and Android devices, the format limitation is a major issue. Unlike VLC Media Player, which has extensive video compression capabilities, QuickTime Player is limited to lowering video resolution in order to reduce video file size. You can’t even cut or shorten video length.Top 10 Free Video Compression Software for Windows and MacOS
- Compress MKV, MOV, AVI, FLV, H.264, MPEG4, HEVC, etc. free on Mac.
- Compress and convert videos from 4K, 1080P to 720p, 480p for smaller video size.
- Only offers options to cut video file size down by lowering down video resolution.
- Output videos in MOV format.
10.Final Cut Pro X Compressor
Final Cut Pro X Compressor is the best macOS video compression software. It works in tandem with Final Cut Pro to compress videos to HDR, HEVC, 360 video, MXF, and other formats with high performance and efficiency. It is intended to compress video and audio files when you are producing a large amount of work for various people or formats, or when you are attempting to master your work for specific formats. Video compression in batches is well supported. Working as a free video compressor for macOS, bit includes camera LUTs for Panasonic, Sony, Canon, Blackmagic, Nikon, and ARRI, as well as the option to add a custom camera LUT. On Mac computers equipped with Apple silicon, video compression performance and efficiency can be improved.
The new Compressor 4.1 has a better interface and supports H.264 and Dolby Digital Plus hardware encoding. The free video compressor software for Mac occasionally lags, especially when compressing and exporting a large video file on Mac. It occasionally crashes while exporting files. All of the compression settings and preferences can be difficult to find at first. Only Apple’s format is supported by the programme. Want to export and ecode WMV, AVI, and Adobe FLV videos to Windows? This free video compressor for Mac will let you down.Top 10 Free Video Compression Software for Windows and MacOS
- A batch encoder can generate multiple sizes for a single video at once.
- High-quality output such as 4K, HDR, and 360 degrees is supported.
- Compress video file size quickly without sacrificing quality.